January 12, 2014

Special Order





A few weeks ago I had the sweetest wife contact me about finding the "best chocolate cake" for her husband's surprise party. She mentioned that her husband was a bit picky, and can never seem to find a chocolate cake that ticks all the right boxes. Before I started Buttercup I too had struggled in the chocolate cake department. I always knew I wanted my cakes to be gourmet, but I also wanted the moist, rich, homemade goodness that begs for a glass of ice cold milk. You know, something Grandma would have made and been beloved by everyone she knew. Easy enough, right? So after lots and lots of trial and error, I finally found my signature cake that is by far the most requested and my personal favorite. 

Back to the cakes above, I agreed to do a little tasting with her and after getting her approval I whipped up a 6" three layer chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling. She also mentioned that her favorite flavor was amaretto so we came up with a vanilla sponge cake soaked in an amaretto and espresso simple syrup and frosted with an amaretto buttercream. It's delicious and comes across as somewhere between tiramisu and a tres leches cake. I'm pretty proud of this one and can already imagine eating a leftover slice the morning after the party with a cup of coffee. Yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog